Copyright 2013. New Zion Missionary Baptist Church. All rights reserved.
The following Ministers and the church’s members, with God’s help were instrumental in the many successes of the NEW ZION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH 131st year history:
Rev. H. Haverty Rev. M. L. Mollette Rev. G. Wright Rev. R. M. Robertson Rev. Carr
Rev. J. Duke Rev. Fields Rev. E. Freeney Rev. Alford Robertson Rev. M. E. Sargent
Rev. B. F. Brown Rev. R. Nickerson, Jr.
Rev. Rayford Terrell
The New Zion Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1882 in a three-room house at the corner of Ervay and Colonial Street by Rev. & Sis. H. Haverty, Deacon & Sis. J. Floyd and Deacon & Sis. Pierce. Sometime in the year 1888 Sis. Melissa Pierce donated the land for a place to worship in the Joppa community. The New Zion Missionary Baptist Church was then relocated to 7814 Hull Street. New Zion has been an instrumental part of the Joppa community. The church building once served as a schoolhouse, a temporary pediatric clinic for our children and a voting place for this precinct. On October 19, 1960 a dedication ceremony was held for the first service in the newly built church, which is where the church is still located today. During the years 1972 through 2012, we purchased two parking lots, land for the additional parking lot, new PA systems, paid the church mortgage off, remodeled the Sanc-tuary and Dining hall, added additional restrooms , installed central air conditioning in the Din-ing Hall, renovated the Sanctuary and the Fellowship Hall, installed new pews and lights, ex-panded the Kitchen and Dining area. Also, additional rooms were built for the Finance Staff and Storage supplies. The New Zion Missionary Baptist Church is currently under the leadership of Pastor Rayford Terrell. We are blessed and with God on our side and much prayer and faith the church continues to move onward and upward As we celebrate The New Zion Missionary Baptist Church’s 131st Anniversary we are mindful of how good God is. God is our beginning and God is our end, and it is in God alone that we trust and hope.